The original Jewish custom in Chanukah is to give “Chanukah gelt” (money) rather than presents. Chanukah comes from the word Chinuch which means education. The Chanukah gelt is an opportunity to teach our children about giving from all that which they receive.
OF COURSE we thought about doing this custom our way with our spin of “tradition meets design”
Impress your guests with these easy do it yourself Gourmet Chocolate Gelt Coins. Made with chocolate, fancy toppings and gold edible paint.
- 300 g chocolate (any type you like)
- Edible gold glitter dust, gold leaves, or spray
Topping Ideas for adults:
Chia seeds, pistachios, coconut flakes, orange zest, lime zest, clementine zest, stem ginger, cranberry, goji berries, sea salt, nuts.
Topping Ideas for kids:
m&m’s, sprinkles, mini marshmallows, jelly beans, chocolate chips, rice krispies.
*You will need a small cupcake or muffin tray, preferably silicone for easier removal.
- Quarter-fill a saucepan with water and place over a medium heat.
- Break the chocolate into a heatproof bowl and set it over the pan, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir constantly, until the chocolate has melted.
- Place the chocolate into each hole of a cupcake tray, about 3mm deep. You can use a spoon or a syringe.
- Chop and sprinkle your desired toppings over the top.
- Place the tray in the fridge for 4 hours for the chocolate to set.
- Remove the tray and bang the underside to let the coins fall out.
- Decorate with edible gold glitter dust, spray or leaves to give them the final Coins Look.
They will sure decorate any Chanukah party and they are fun to do with your kids!
Happy Chanukah 2016 from Apeloig Collection